Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Heart Exam




But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
-First Thessalonians 2:4 (KJV)

For we speak as messengers approved by God to be entrusted with the Good News. Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts. 
-First Thessalonians 2:4 (NLT)

This week, we've been looking at Psalm 19:14, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer." We've been studying about how we can live a life that is acceptable to God. Yesterday we studied about our words. Read that post HERE.

Today, I want us to focus on the second part of that verse, "...and the meditation of my heart..." I think what David was thinking about is the desires of his heart. Whatever our true desires lay, that is where our hearts are. It's a principle that Jesus taught in Matthew 6:21, " For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." So, how can my heart be acceptable to God? 

Well, first, we must understand what Paul wrote in First Thessalonians 2:4, "For we speak as messengers approved by God to be entrusted with the Good News. Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts." That single verse contains so much that we're going to have to study it again tomorrow. Anyway, I want us to focus on the last sentence of that verse, " He alone examines the motives of our hearts."  God examines the motives of our hearts. Think about that. Our desires, our motives are what dictates the direction of our lives. Since God examines our motives, how can I make sure they line up with Him? Psalm 139:23-24 reveals to us a prayer, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. The writer of Psalm 139 asks God to search him, and know his thoughts and heart. Do you or I have the courage to pray a prayer like that? But, if we want to live a life acceptable unto God, we must. Ask God to search you, and see if there is any left over wickedness from your life in sin that needs to be dealt with. Then, make Psalm 51:10 your prayer, "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." God examines the motives of your heart, allow Him to reveal any wickedness that is still there, and then allow Him to create a clean heart and right spirit in you. 

~Think About It~

No comments:

Post a Comment