Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Nailed to the Doorpost # 2

Nailed to the Doorpost # 2

2. I would be faithful to Christ, because He is Himself so infinitely worthy of my love and service.

Angels, who know Him far better than I can, rejoice to worship Him and to do His bidding. He is a glorious King, riding on to victory, clad in the robe of zeal and righteousness. All power is committed unto Him, and He will reign forever and ever. And His character is as glorious as His kingly majesty. All excellencies meet in Him. There is no grace or virtue which I have ever seen in a fellow-Christian, but shines forth preeminently in Christ.

He is so meek, and gentle, and patient, and forbearing; He is so full of kindness and pity and tender considerateness for the sorrowful and tried; He is so holy and faithful and true; He is so compassionate to the fallen, and so ready to forgive the sinner who comes to Him. All this binds me to Him, and makes me love His service. It is only those who know Him not, who refuse to love and serve Him. Their eyes are blinded that they cannot see the glory that shines forth from Him. But He has manifested Himself to me. He has sent me His Spirit, and enabled me to discern a few rays of His glory, as the eternal Son of God and as the lowly Son of Mary. Therefore I abide with Him.

When the Queen of Sheba had seen the royal state of King Solomon, and heard his wisdom, she could exclaim, "Happy are these servants, who stand continually before you!" (1 Kings 10). But far happier am I to stand before the King of Heaven. Great is my privilege, to be permitted to serve Him whom all the inhabitants of Heaven worship and adore.

3. I will cleave to Christ, because He has shown me such constant tokens of His loving-kindness.

The Jewish servant would be drawn to his master; if he could look back on a long course of tender considerations; if he had received year after year fresh proofs of his master's thoughtful affection - he would be reluctant to leave one who had thus dealt with him. But what shall I say to the Master's goodness to me?

Has He not laid down His life for my sake, as a sacrifice for my sin? I hear His voice pleading with me, "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Has He not broken the hard tyranny of the Prince of Darkness?

Has He not set me free from the yoke of evil?

Has He not forgiven me ten thousand times ten thousand sins?

Has He not wrapped me around with His beauteous white robe of righteousness?

Has He not given me sure and precious promises on which I may ever rely?

Has He not brought me graciously through many a gloomy valley of trouble?

Has He not restored me when I fell?

Has He not heard my feeble cry of distress when I knew not where I could turn?

And for all these tokens of His love, shall I not praise Him, and serve Him more and more?

Centuries ago, the aged Polycarp, when asked to blaspheme the name of Christ or else suffer a cruel death, exclaimed, "Eighty-six years have I served Christ, and He has done me nothing but good - how shall I, then, blaspheme my Lord and Master?"

Another, in later days, General Havelock, could say, "More than thirty years I have served Christ, and no man ever had so good a Master, or so kind a friend."

And I can take up the same strain. Every year has proved His mercy and His grace - hence I will cleave to Him still. "O Lord, truly I am Your servant ... You have broken my bonds...What shall I render unto the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord!"

4. I will cleave to Christ, because the service itself is such a blessed and joyful one.

When the subjects of Rehoboam sought of him a lightening of their burdens, he answered them roughly: "My father made your yoke heavy - but I will add to your yoke. My father chastised you with whips - but I will chastise you with scorpions." No wonder, hearing such words, that they forsook him, and sought one who would offer an easier service.

~George Everard~

(continued with # 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment