Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 1, 2019

Nailed to the Doorpost # 3

Nailed to the Doorpost # 3

But what says Christ of His service? "Learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart - and you shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" (Matt. 11:28-29). And what Christ said is found true by experience. His service is perfect freedom. In keeping His commandments there is great reward, even now.

What does He ever bid me do, but that which is for my true profit and welfare? He bids me live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world. He bids me abstain from every sin, and in doing so He keeps me from many sorrows. He bids me watch and pray. He bids me cultivate every Christian grace and virtue. He would have me humble, holy, self-denying. He would have me patient and contented, gentle and forgiving courteous and genuine, unselfish and full of charity. He would call me to follow in the footsteps of His own most holy life.  He would remind me of the duty of praise and gratitude, and have me frequently lift my heart above the present evil world to my Father in Heaven.

And what is there in all this, but that which is reasonable and blessed, and brings happiness to myself as well as unto others? Since, therefore, the service of Christ is so honorable, so fitted to draw forth all the higher powers of my soul, and so rich in present comfort and blessing - I have another reason why I should never forsake it. Nay, I will never leave this service - but I pray God that I may serve Christ more and more. May I freely yield all I have to Him, and with a joyful heart do all His holy will!

5. I will cleave to Christ, because I think of my companions in His service.  In some cases the Jewish servant had a wife and, perhaps, children who were reckoned as belonging to his master, and so there was an additional link why he should not leave the home. He loved his master, but he also dearly loved his kindred, and therefore he willingly tarried. Here, too, I see that which binds me still closer to my Master. I love to think I am one with all the people of God. While truly serving Christ I am one with all the excellent of the earth who have ever lived, or who are living now.

"For all the servants of our King
In Heaven and earth are one."

I am in the same service to which Abel, and Enoch, and Noah, and Abraham, and all the patriarchs belonged. I have prophets and apostles and martyrs for my companions. David and Esaiah and Elijah, Peter and Paul, and all the faithful ones in the early Church, with all who have truly loved Christ in every age - these are my kinsmen and brethren in the Master's household. And shall not this thought encourage me in the trials I have to meet with? Through conflict and opposition they won their crown, and so must I. I will share with them the reproach of Christ, and with them I shall share the kingdom. Yes, I think of my companions in Christ's service, as I think of an innumerable company of angels, of the spirits of just men made perfect, and the great multitude which no man can number, gathered out of all nations and people and tongues - I rejoice to be one with them in the obedience and love of Christ.

6. I will cleave to Christ, because He gives me such help in my work. "I used to work single-handed, but now I have a Partner, and He lightens my load for me," said one who told of the happiness he found in bearing Christ's yoke. And I find this is the case with me. He often humbles me and brings me low - He often shows me how utterly helpless I am in myself - but in due season, He always draws near to assist and strengthen me.

As my day, so is my strength. He never leaves me long to my own weakness. When I am cast down, He lifts me up. When I have failed, He readily and freely forgives. When I have a cross to bear, He puts His own shoulder beneath the burden. He goes with me to my work and stands by my side all the while. When He sees me overtaxing my strength, He bids me rest for a season in His loving presence. He works in me both to will and to do of His good pleasure. He sends me His blessed Spirit, the Comforter, to be my Teacher and my Sanctifier. He cheers me with the promises of His grace, and every trouble that I put into His hand, He undertakes on my behalf.

I read of Pharaoh giving heavy tasks to the children of Israel and refusing them straw to make bricks. But very differently does Christ act. He appoints me no work for which He will not provide the help I need in the doing of it. And though my work seems hard sometimes, my sorrows great, because my faith is so small - yet the more I look to Him, and trust in Him, the lighter shall I feel the load to be. Therefore I will go happily on my way, and as I go, I will hearken to His word of encouragement:

"So do not fear, for I am with you.
Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand!" (Isaiah 41:10).

~George Everard~

(continued with # 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment