Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Worship # 2

Worship: Its Priority, Principles, and Practice (continued)

1. I will show the general importance of public worship.

2. I will show the leading principles of public worship.

3. I will show the essential parts of complete public worship.

4. I will show the things to be avoided in public worship.

5. I will show the tests by which our public worship should be tried.

I purposely confine my attention to public worship. I purposely pass over all private religious habits, such as praying, Bible reading, self-examination, and meditation. No doubt they lie at the very root of personal Christianity, and without them all public religion is utterly in vain. But they are not the subject I want to handle today.

I Have First to Show the General Importance of Public Worship

I trust I need not dwell long on this part of my subject. This paper is not likely to fall into the hands of any who do not at least cal themselves Christians. There are few, except downright unbelievers, who will dare to say that we ought not to make some public profession of religion. Most people, whatever their own practice may be, will admit that we ought to meet other Christians at stated times in in stated places, and unitedly and together to worship God.

Public worship, I am bold to say, has always been one mark of God's servants. Man, as a general rule, is a social being, and does not like to live separate from his fellows. In every age God has made use of that mighty principle, and has taught his people to worship him publicly as well as privately, together as well as alone. I believe the last day will show that wherever God has had a people few in number, have always assembled themselves together, and approached their heavenly Father in company. They have been taught to do it for many wise reasons, partly to bear a public testimony to the world, partly to strengthen, cheer, help, encourage, and comfort one another, and above all, to train and prepare them for the general assembly in heaven. "As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend" (Proverbs 27:17). That man can know little of human nature who does not know that to see others doing and professing the same things that we do in religion, is an immense help and encouragement to our souls.

~J. C. Ryle~

(continued with # 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment