Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Prayer of Agreement


In the last two devotionals, we have learned about the prayer of dedication and the prayer of faith. Today I want to help you understand the prayer of agreement.

This prayer is found in Matthew 18:19, where Jesus says,

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven."

When I pray with other people, nine times out of ten this is the prayer that I pray with them. And most of the time I will quote this verse to them.

I remember working for a ministry years ago and praying with the folks who called on the phone.  When I prayed with someone, I would walk them through this verse before we prayed.

The steps I pointed out were simple:
  • There needs to be at least two of us praying.
  • We need to agree.
  • We need to be on earth (I usually got a laugh out of this one).
  • What we are asking God for needs to come under the category of "anything" (which their request always did).
  • God will do it.
The only part people ever got hung up on was the agreement.  "What does it mean to agree?" they would ask.  I would say, "Simple, to agree means to agree."  Don't over-spiritualize it.  If we decide to get lunch together at a certain time at a certain place, and you say, "Ok, see you there," we have just agreed.
To agree in prayer is no different.

Read this verse again.  Look at it step by step, and follow it—in all its simplicity.  If we do our part, God will do His.

~Bayless Conley~

No comments:

Post a Comment