Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Nailed to the Doorpost! # 1

Nailed to the Doorpost # 1

There is a blessing prepared for those who are faithful as doorkeepers in the Lord's house. Hence a king could once say, "I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness" (Psalm 84:10). There is a blessing prepared for those who wait at God's door, to learn of Him, and to do His bidding. Hence it is written of Him, the true wisdom: "Blessed is the man that hears Me, watching daily at My gates, waiting at the posts of My doors" (Proverbs 8:34).

But there is a blessing still greater, it seems to me, for those who are "nailed to Christ's doorpost." The expression tells of steadfast, firm, unshaken allegiance and devotedness to Christ.

In the year of release among the Jews, whoever would, might leave the service of his master. He was free to go out wherever he would. But the choice was given him - he might stay if he chose to do so. Perchance he loved his master and his service, and was happier with him than he could be elsewhere; perchance he felt that liberty would be a poor exchange for the quietness and peace and comfort he enjoyed beneath his master's roof. It might be also that he had other ties. He might have wife and children, who were regarded as his master's property. But for whatever cause, if he desired it, he might give himself forever to remain faithful to his master. In this case there was a peculiar ceremony. He must openly declare his purpose. He must say plainly, "I love my master, my wife, and my children. I will not go free. Then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life" (Exodus 21:5-6). Thus was the servant "nailed to the doorpost" in token of everlasting fidelity. He would cleave to his master in faithfulness and love. He would be true to him, even to the end, and never forsake the home and the service which he loved.

I know not how many availed themselves of this provision, perhaps not very many. There are too many causes of unpleasantness, even in the happiest home; so that it is not likely many were willing so completely to yield themselves to any earthly master.

But I take it as an illustration of the spirit of the true-hearted Christian. He is nailed to the doorpost; he is given up forever to be Christ's. His great desire is to be faithful unto death. He desires to be bound, hand and foot, with the cords and bands of Christ's love. His heart is fixed. His mind is set on bearing the yoke and carrying the burden of Him who loved him.

Whoever may tempt him to turn aside, whoever may wish to allure to a false liberty, to go forth into the world's highway unshackled by the gentle restraints of Christ - he hearkens not, nor consents. His choice is made. He is firm as a rock; he has set his face like a flint. To every temptation, to every one who would beguile him, he says plainly, "I love my Master; I will not go out free!"

I will state a few reasons which the Christian gives for this determination. I trust that they express the secret musings and resolves of many who read this paper. I trust they may stir up the pure mind of many believers by way of remembrance, and thus strengthen their hands in God. Yes, and I will pray that they may awaken some readers to see the blessedness of Christ's service, and thus lead them, through the Spirit's grace, to choose that good part which shall not be taken from them. "I love my Master...I will not go out free!"

1. If I cast off the yoke of Christ, to what better master can I go? I must have one master or another; man cannot be independent. But where shall I find a better master than Christ? I look all around this cold world - I look above, beneath - and if I forsake Christ, I may well ask, "To whom shall I go?"

"Where, ah, where shall I go -
A wretched wanderer from my Lord?
Can this dark world of sin and woe
One glimpse of happiness afford?"

Shall I take the prince of darkness as my master? What is he but a "liar" and a "murderer!" (John 8:44). Does he not first deceive - and then destroy the souls of all who serve him? I remember one whom he persuaded to forsake Christ for a few pieces of silver; but the money burnt into his very soul, and he was obliged to cast it away, and in terrible remorse for his apostasy, he went out and destroyed himself.

Shall I take sin for my master? But the wages are unrest, and shame and sorrow here - and death and damnation hereafter.

Shall I choose the world, and hearken to its alluring and enticing voice? Shall I make a God of money, or business, or high position, or human praise, or anything else it may offer me? I may know beforehand what the outcome will be.

I have read of one who had a motto engraved on a ring, which he would look at as a word of guidance both in prosperity and adversity: "And this too, shall pass away!" Ah, so it will be with all I might gain! Oftentimes disappointment would blight the fairest prospect; and however bright for a season it might be, it could but prove as a summer's day, soon to be followed by the chilling winds and storms of autumn.

No, no! I can find no better master than Christ - and to Him will I cleave. satan and sin, the world and the flesh - can give me nothing satisfying, nothing abiding. But all I need is in Jesus. "I love my Master...I will not go out free!"

~George Everard~

(continued with # 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment