Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 15, 2020

More of Christ! More of Christ! # 2

More of Christ! More of Christ! # 2

I want more assimilation to Christ. What I see in Christ I admire, and I admire all that I see in Christ. But admiration is not enough. I want to be like Jesus, just like Him - altogether like Him. The more I am with Him, and the more I see of Him - the more I sigh, cry, and long to be like Him! I think one may live at such a distance from Christ, and have so little to do with Christ, - that he may not be very anxious or desirous to be like Him. But I am sure that we cannot be much in His company, or be led by the Holy Spirit, to see much of His moral and spiritual beauty - but we shall desire to be fully like Him. At times, this seems to be the one thing needful with me, the one thing that I desire of the Lord - that I may be like Jesus. But it is not always so, it is not sufficiently so - therefore I cannot but wish for more assimilation to Christ.

I want to be fully possessed of Christ. Not only to be like Him - but to be with Him - not only with Him in grace - but with Him in glory! I am sure that I shall never be perfectly satisfied - until I have Christ always with me - until I am always with Him in His Father's home and kingdom. This is promised me, I must believe the promise, and wait for for its fulfillment. Soon it will be true in my experience, "Absent from the body - present with the Lord." I shall "depart and be with Christ - which is far better" than being here, distant from Him, and so often sighing for the enjoyment of Him! Then I shall possess Christ! Then I shall be fully satisfied with the presence of Christ!

O Lord, let me have a deeper sense of my saving interest in Christ now, let me enjoy more of Him while on earth - and then I know that I shall be satisfied when I awake up in His glorious likeness!

Now it seems to me that these things go together, or naturally follow each other:

In proportion as I feel my need of Christ - I shall desire to know Christ - to know Him fully, to know Him experimentally.

In proportion as I know Christ - shall I desire to set my affections on Christ, and to love Him with an unquenchable love.

Just in proportion to my love to Him - will be my desire to realize close and vital union to Him.

In proportion as I realize my union to Christ - shall I want to have and enjoy communion with Christ.

In proportion as I enjoy communion with Christ - shall I long for assimilation to Christ.

And as I long for assimilation to Christ - shall I desire fully to possess Him, and to be forever with Him!

Reader, do you know anything about these things? I have written these lines out of my own heart, and they express the feelings and desires of my soul.

If I know anything - I do know in a degree my need of Christ.

If I desire anything - I do desire to know Christ.

If I wish to love at all - I wish to love Christ supremely.

If I prize anything - I prize union to Christ.

If I desire anything - I desire communion with Christ.

If I aspire to anything - I aspire to be like Christ.

If I am persuaded that I shall be satisfied with anything - I am persuaded that I shall be satisfied with the presence and possession of Christ.

All my religion finds its center in Christ!

My whole creed begins, goes on, and ends with Christ!

I value doctrines - but I set more value on Christ!

I prize ordinances - but I think more highly of Christ!

With me it is - Christ first, Christ middle, Christ last!

Reader, is it so with you?

~James Smith~

(The End)



No comments:

Post a Comment