Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

All Things Are Not Expedient

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any" (1 Corinthians 6:12)

There are certain weights that an athlete chooses to lay aside. They are not bad for other people, but they are bad for the athlete.

In the spiritual realm, it is the same for Christians. Paul tells us, "all thing are not expedient." The word "expedient" is similar to the word "expedition." You see, Christians are going somewhere. If something doesn't speed us along the way, then it is excess baggage and we need to get rid of it.

Ask God, "Do I own any legitimate, lawful things that can be put to better use and are keeping me from running the best race for You? If so, show me, that I may live a life that is completely surrendered to the cause of Christ." It might be a boat, a condo, a ring, an oil painting, or an antique collection. These things are not inherently bad. Maybe He wants you to sell whatever it is or maybe not. Just talk to Him about it.

~Adrian Rogers~
_____________________________________________

"But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you" (1 Peter 5:10)

Isn't it wonderful to know that the works of God are perfect? That God's way are perfect? And that His will is perfect?

Now, I know that someone reading this may think, "But I don't know about God's will. I don't want to give myself completely to Him or He might send me to a remote desert as a missionary."

Let me set the record straight. God's will is not so much something that you surrender to as it is something that you get in on. God will choose for you what you would choose for yourself if you had enough sense to choose it.

Ask yourself if you have completely surrendered everything to God. Is there anything you are holding back? Is there any activity that you are still doing that does not please God? Is there anything you posses that dishonors God? It's time to clean house both literally and figuratively.

~Adrian Rogers~

No comments:

Post a Comment