Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Worth of a Soul: God Gave His Only Son

"Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Matthew 16:26)

In the world's markets, something which has no value for a disinterested person may be considered of great value to another who desires it and purchases it. In this sense, we may learn how dear and precious we are to Christ by what He was willing to give for us!

Many Christians are tempted to downgrade themselves too much. I am not arguing against true humility and my word to you is this: Think as little of yourself as you want to, but always remember that our Lord Jesus Christ thought very highly of you - enough to give Himself for you in death and sacrifice!

If the devil comes to you and whispers that you are no good, don't argue with him. In fact, you may as well admit it, but then remind the devil: "Regardless of what you say about me, I must tell you how the Lord feels about me. He tells me that I am so valuable to Him that He gave Himself for me on the Cross!"

So the value is set by the price paid - and in our case, the price paid was our Lord Himself, and the end that the Saviour had in view was that He might redeem us from all iniquity, that is, from the power and consequences of iniquity.

One of Wesley's hymns speaks of "the double cure" for sin. The wrath of God against sin and the power of sin in the human life - both of these were dealt with when Christ gave Himself for us. He redeemed s with a double cure!

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment