Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Life's Proper Focus


Read Luke 12:16-21,

Then He spoke a parable to them, saying:  "The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully.  And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?'  So he said, ‘I will do this:  I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.  And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry."'  But God said to him, ‘Fool!  This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?'  So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

This parable really helps us bring life into the right perspective.  The rich man in this story failed to do three things. 
  • He failed to realize that he was only a steward and not the owner of his goods.
  • He failed to have an eternal perspective.
  • He failed to consider how brief this earthly life can be.
How did he fail in these three areas?  By not understanding just how short life is and where to place his focus.
He talked about building barns but instead he had a burial.
He said he had many years but God said "this night."
He thought he was wise, but God said he was a fool.
Let's learn from his mistakes and bring our life into proper focus. 

~Bayless Conley~

No comments:

Post a Comment