Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Ability To Wonder

"When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; what is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" Psalm 8:3-4)

God made the world; it is a beautiful thing and something to venerate. It's a great loss - a tragic loss -that we've suffered in the last generation. We have lost the ability to wonder. We know so everlasting much and we're so sure of ourselves. But David stood and wondered in the presence of God's creation; he raised his eyes and said, "What is man, that thou art mindful of him?" (Psalm 8:4). And Isaiah and Jeremiah and Ezekiel and all the rest of them stood and wondered in the presence of God Almighty's creation.

The footprints of God are everywhere about us. And while we can't see Him, we can see His luminous trail like a bird that sings while hidden in a tree. As Middleton said, "The bird sings darkling." We can't see the bird, but we can hear her sing. God sings among His branches and sings in His universe. You and I cannot gaze upon Him, for no man can see God and live. But we can hear Him sing His song of creation and redemption. And we can feel the pressure of His breath upon us as we move though the world. We'll never see things rightly till we see them as garments of God.

I'll watch for Your footprints, God. I'll listen for Your song and be sensitive to Your breath. I will stand in wonder at what I see. Amen

__________________________________________

I See the Glory of God

"But as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord." (Numbers 14:21)

Let us learn to admire God in all things, great and small - in the soft play of a kitten on the rug as well as in the vast and breath-taking sweep of some galaxy around a point so remote as to stun the imagination and make language dumb.

Two men stood on the shore watching the sun come up out of the sea. One was a merchant from London, the other was the poet, William Blake. As the bright yellow disk of the sun emerged into view, gilding the water and painting the sky with a thousand colors, the poet turned to the merchant and asked, "What do you see?" "Ah, I see gold," replied the merchant. "The sun looks like a great gold piece. What do you see?" "I see the glory of God," Blake answered, "and I hear a multitude of the heavenly host crying "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty. The whole earth is full of His glory" ' (see Isaiah 6:5).

Lord, as I go about my day may I not just see nature for what it is, but as a majestic expression of Your holiness. Amen

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment