Total Pageviews

Friday, May 29, 2015

Be Exalted, O God

"Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth" (Psalm 57:5)

This was written by David when fleeing from Saul and surrounded by his foes. In that brilliant way he had of describing things, David said that he found himself among lions, men whose teeth were spears and arrows and whose tongues were as sharp swords. He was surrounded by them and they had the authority of King Saul back of them, and David had nobody but God. So David, being taught in the ways of the Spirit, did something that we probably wouldn't have thought of doing. David immediately put God between him and his enemies.

David knew that he must have the victory; but he knew if he was to have anything like permanent victory he couldn't ask God to exalt him. So he didn't say, "Oh God, I am Your king, to be successor to Saul, the sinning king. Now God, I want You to be successor to Saul, the sinning king. Now God, I want You to come to my rescue and crush these enemies under my feet." He knew better than that' So, he prayed ... "Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth" (57:5). He was saying, "Whatever happens to me, God, be exalted. Whatever these men with sharp teeth and claws and spears and arrows do to me, God, let Your glory be over all the earth. My heart is fixed on this, O God, and I will sing praise because I want You to be exalted above the heavens and Your glory over all the earth."

Lord, it is my prayer today that You are exalted in all circumstances. Whatever I may face today, Lord, I exalt You. Amen

________________________________________

For His Glory Alone

"And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified" (Isaiah 49:3)

The glory of God is the health of the universe; the essential soundness of things requires that He be honored among created intelligences.

Where God is honored fully is heaven, and it is heaven for that reason; where He is honored not at all is hell, and for that cause it is hell. Among men we see a mixture of honor and dishonor. Basically this is the cause back of earth's tragic, confused history.

God has not finished with His saints till He has brought them to a place where they honor Him on earth as He is honored in heaven.

God gives away His full purpose in redeeming man when He says, "Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified" (Isaiah 49:3).

If we can convince God that we are sold out to His high honor, the problem of unanswered prayer is solved. God will withhold nothing from that man who is determined to live to His glory alone.

God has said, "them that honor me I will honor" (1 Samuel 2:30). He can honor us only when He knows His glory is safe in our hands.

Lord, may I honor You today on earth as You are honored in heaven. Be glorified in and through me today. Amen

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment