Total Pageviews

Friday, June 26, 2015

Evil In Our Nature

"Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow" (Psalm 51:7)

Why should we delude ourselves about pleasing God in worship? If I live a worldly and carnal tramp all day and then find myself in a time of crisis at midnight, how do I pray to a God who is holy? How do I address the One who has asked me to worship Him in spirit and in truth? Do I get on my knees and call on the name of Jesus because I believe there is some magic in that name?

If I am still the same worldly, carnal tramp, I will b disappointed and disillusioned. If I am not living in the true meaning of His name and His nature, I cannot properly pray in that name. If I am not living in His nature, I cannot rightly pray in that nature.

How can we hope to worship God acceptably when these evil elements remain in our natures undisciplined, uncorrected, unpurged, unpurified? Even granted that a man with evil ingredients in his nature might manage through some part of himself to worship God half-acceptably. But what kind of a way is that in which to live and continue?

Lord, it is the longings of my heart that I might worship You acceptably. Purge me and cleanse me, that the evil nature within me might be subdued. Amen

___________________________________________

Saved to Worship

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people: that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light" (1 Peter 2:9)

I believe a local church exists to do corporately what each Christian believer should be doing individually - and that is to worship God. It is to show forth the excellencies of Him who has "called [us] out of darkness into his marvelous light" (1 Peter 2:9). It is to reflect the glories of Christ ever shining upon us through the ministries of the Holy Spirit.

I am going to say something to you which will sound strange. It even sounds strange to me as I say it, because we are not used to hearing it within our Christian fellowships. "We are saved to worship God." All that Christ has done for us in the past and all that He is doing now leads to this one end.

If we are willing to confess that we have been called out of darkness to show forth the glory of Him who called us, we should also be willing to take whatever steps are necessary to fulfill our high design and calling as the New Testament Church.

Lord, I acknowledge today that my highest calling and my purpose for existence is to worship You. May I and my church glorify You through our worship. Amen

~A. W. Tozer~



No comments:

Post a Comment