Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Exalted Worship

"Above it stood the seraphims ... and one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory." (Isaiah 6:2-3)

Now, because we are dealing with worship, let us consider the joys and delights of the heavenly creatures, the seraphim, around the throne of God.

We know very little about these created beings, but I am impressed by their attitude of exalted worship. They are close to the throne and they burn with rapturous love for the Godhead. They were engrossed in their antiphonal chants, "Holy, holy, holy!"

The key words then and the keynote still of our worship must be "Holy, holy, holy!"

I am finding that many Christians are really not comfortable with the holy attributes of God. In such cases I am forced to wonder about the quality of the worship they try to offer Him.

The word "holy" is more than an adjective saying that God is a holy God - it is an ecstatic ascription of glory to the Triune God.

Lord, I come before You this day and cry with the seraphim, "Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts." May I always approach You with such an attitude of worship. Amen

___________________________________________

Struck With Awe

"Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone, because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." (Isaiah 6:5)

It should help us to be concerned about the quality of our worship when we consider that Isaiah's reaction was a feeling of absolute profaneness in the presence of the moral purity of the divine Being. Consider that Isaiah was a commendable young man - cultured, religious and a cousin of the king. He would have made a good deacon in any church. Today he would be asked to serve on one of our mission boards.

But here Isaiah was an astonished man. He was struck with awe, his whole world suddenly dissolving into a vast, eternal brightness. He was pinned against that brightness - red and black, the colors of sin.

What had happened? Isaiah, only human, had glimpsed One whose character and nature signaled perfection. He could only manage the witness: "Mine eyes have seen the King!"

Lord, how can I help but fall on my face before You if I once get a glimpse of Your great glory? Forgive my sinfulness s I fall before You in worship. Amen

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment