Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Only God's Goodness

"How excellent is thy loving-kindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings." Psalm 36:7

Why were we created? Was it that we deserved to be created? How can nothing deserve something? There was a time when there was no human race. How therefore could a human race that hadn't existed deserve something? How could a man that wasn't yet created earn anything or pile up any merit? It couldn't be so. God out of His goodness created us. Why were we not destroyed when we sinned? The only answer is that God, out of His goodness, spared us. The cordial, kind-intentioned God spared us.

Why would God the Eternal Son bleed for us? The answer is, out of His goodness and lovingkindness. "Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings." (Psalm 36;7). Why would God forgive me when I've sinned and then forgive me again and again? Because God out of His goodness acts according to that goodness and does what His loving heart dictates that He do.

Loving Father, I bow today in humble dependence on Your goodness, undeserving as I am. Amen

________________________________________

If My Account Were Closed Tomorrow

"Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits." (Psalm 103:1-2)

Increasing knowledge of God's ways and works, especially His wise and tender treatment of His redeemed children, fills me with ever-mounting degrees of admiration and praise. It is becoming every day easier to understand experientially the hosannas and hallelujahs which make up such a large portion of the sacred Scriptures. They are the normal response of the heart to the manifold goodness of God, and it would, in fact, be hard to understand their omission if they were not found there.

While I have no doubt that the grace which has followed me since my boyhood will continue with me while I live on earth and for an eternity after, I have enjoyed already enough of God's benefits to supply me with matter for constant praise for at least a thousand years to come. If God were to close my account tomorrow and refuse any longer to honor me with His favors, the circumstances of His grace to me so far would require that I should still thank Him unceasingly with tears of honest gratitude.

Lord, don't ever let me take for granted thy many blessings You send my way. Give me a thankful heart today and be pleased with my offering of praise. Amen

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment