Total Pageviews

Monday, August 29, 2016

Worthy Sayings of Great Christians

Could a mariner sit idle if he heard the drowning cry?
Could a doctorsit in comfort and just let his patients die?
Could a fireman sit idle, let men burn and give no hand?
Can you sit at ease in Zion with the world around you damned?

~Leonard Ravenhill~
______________________

Give me the love that leads the way,
The faith that nothing can dismay,
The hope no disappointments tire,
The passion that will burn like fire,
Let me not sink to bea clod:
Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God.

~Amy Wilson Carmichael~
_______________________

The church that is man-managed instead of God-governed
is doomed to failure. A ministry that is college-trained
but not Spirit-filled works no miracles.

~Samuel Chadwick~
______________________

The man whose sermon is "repent" sets himself
against his age, and will for the time being be battered
mercilessly by the age whose moral tone he challenges.
There is but one end for such a man - "off with his head!"
You had better not try to preach repentance until 
you have pledged your head to heaven.

~Joseph Parker~
_______________________

Let me burn out for God. After all, whatever God may
appoint, prayer is the great thing. Oh, that I
may be a man of prayer!

~Henry Martyn~
_________________________

Love is kindled in a flame, andardency is its life. Flame is
the air which true Christian experience breathes. It feeds
on fire; it can withstand anything, rather than a feeble
flame; but when the surrounding atmosphere is frigid or
lukewarm, it dies, chilled and starved to its vitals.
True prayer MUST be aflame.

~E. M. Bounds~
____________________

O for a passionate passion for souls,
O for a pity that yearns!
O for the love that loves unto death,
O for the fire that burns!
O for the pure prayer power that prevails,
That pours itself out for the lost!
Victorious prayer in the Conqueror's Name,
O for a PENTECOST!

~Amy Wilson Carmichael~
_________________________

O that in me the sacred fire
Might now begin to glow,
Burn up the dross of base desire,
And make the mountains flow!"

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
Till I am wholly Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.

~Charles Wesley~
_____________________

To make my weak heart strong and brave, 
Send the fire.
To live a dying world to save, send the fire.
Oh, see me on Thy altar lay
My life, my all, this very day;
To crown the offering now, I pray:
Send the fire!

~F. de L. Booth-Tucker~
________________________

Apostolic preaching is not marked by its beautiful diction,
or literary polish, or cleverness of expression, but
operates "in demonstration of the Spirit and of power.

~Arthur Wallis~
_____________________

Most joyfully will I confirm with my blood that truth
which I have written and preached.

~John Huss - At the Stake~
_______________________

The primary qualification for a missionary is not love for
souls, as we so often hear, but love for Christ.

~Vance Havner~

No comments:

Post a Comment