Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Worthy Sayings of Great Christians

The only saving faith is that which casts itself on God for life or death.

~Martin Luther~
_______________________

That is why, at every point in history where the Church of Christ has been carried on some wave of revival back to reality and self-consecration, thousands of men and women have rediscovered Paul, and have thrilled again to the music of his message.

~Dr. J. H. Jowett~
________________________

Oh! for a heart that is burdened!
Infused with a passion to pray;
Oh! for a stirring within me;
Oh! for His power every day.
Oh! for a heart like my Saviour,
Who, being in an agony, prayed.
Such caring for others, Lord give me;
On my heart let burdens be laid.
My Father, I long for this passion,
To pour myself out for the lost -
To lay down my life to save others -
"To pray," whatever the cost.
Lord, teach me, Oh teach me this secret,
I'm hungry this lesson to learn,
This passionate passion for others,
For this, blessed Jesus, I yearn.
Father, this lesson I long for from Thee -
Oh, let Thy Spirit reveal this to me.

~Mary Warburton Booth~
_______________________

Love for lost souls led great soul winners to say,

There is a love constraining me
To go and seek the lost;
I yield, O Lord, my all to Thee
To save at any cost!

Let me love Thee, love is mighty
Swaying realms of deed and thought;
By it I can walk uprightly,
I can serve Thee as I ought.
Love will soften every trial,
Love will lighten every care;
Love unquestioning will follow,
Love will triumph, love will dare!
_________________________

Prayer - the soul's blood.

~George Herbert~
________________________

"Now I leave off to speak any more to creatures,and turn my speech to Thee, O Lord. Now I begin my intercourse with God which shall never be broken off. Father and mother, friends and relations! Farewell, meat and drink! Farewell, the world and all delights! Farewell,sun, moon, and stars! Welcome God and Father! Welcome sweet Lord Jesus, Mediator of the New Covenant! Welcome Blessed Spirit of Grace, God of all Consolation! Welcome Glory! Welcome Eternal Life! Welcome Death!"

Dr. Matthew MacKail stood below the gallows, and as his martyr cousin writhed in the tautened ropes, he clasped the helpless jerking legs together and clung to them that death might come the easier and sooner. And so, with Christ was Hugh MacKail "with his sweet boyish smile." "And that will be my welcome," he said; "the Spirit and the Bride say, Come."

~The Martyrdom of Hugh MacKail~
__________________________

Such blessed apostles, with their healthy, holy disregard for the world and its men, shame us.

"They climbed the steep ascent to heaven
Through peril, toil and pain;
O God, to us may grace be given
To follow in their train."

Soon it will be "Farewell mortality, welcome eternity." Here's wishing you, beloved believer, a year of sacrificial service for Him who was our sacrifice. May we, too, finish our course with joy!
_________________________

Brethren, it is just so much humbug to be waiting for this, night after night, month after month, if we ourselves are not right with God. I must ask myself - "Is my heart pure? Are my hands clean?"

~Comment from the Hebrides Revival~
_______________________

My soul, ask what thou wilt,
Thou canst not be too bold;
Since His own blood for thee He spilt,
What else can He withhold?

~Unknown~
______________________

The place of prayer,
O fruitful place!
The Spirit hovers there;
For all embodiments of grace
Are from the womb of prayer.

~Harold Brooke~
_____________________

Revival is no more a miracle than a crop of wheat. Revival comes from heaven when heroic souls enter the conflict determined to win or die - or if need be, to win and die! "The kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force."

~Charles G. Finney~
_____________________

God's cause is committed to men; God commits Himself to men. Praying men are the vice-regents of God; they do His work and carry out His plans.

~E. M. Bounds~
________________________

Prayer is the sovereign remedy.

~Robert Hall~
_____________________

Prayer is the acid test of devotion.

~Samuel Chadwick~

No comments:

Post a Comment