Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Christ, the Portion of Believers! # 1

Christ, the Portion of Believers # 1

Christians! The Redeemer with all His glorious salvation, in all His offices, and under all the characters which He sustains - is yours! You may say, with the fullest assurance, "My beloved is mine - and I am His!" You are the subjects of the blessed Redeemer's particular care, given into His hands by His and your Father, to be saved by Him from the guilt and dominion of sin, from all the powers of darkness, and from the vengeance of eternal fire!

He executes all of His offices on your behalf!

As a priest, He has made an atonement for your sin, and reconciled you to God.

As a Prophet, He teaches you all that you need for life and godliness, from His Word.

As a King, He reigns in His Church, and rules in the heart of every believer.

He is a Physician to heal the diseased.

He is a Shepherd to feed and guide His flock.

He is a Counselor to direct them in all the intricate paths of life.

He is a Friend that sticks closer than a brother, and whose friendship is unchangeable and everlasting.

He is an Advocate to plead His people's cause.

He is a Redeemer to emancipate their souls from sin's bondage.

He is...a Son to enlighten you, a Shield to defend you, a Door to admit you to Heaven, a Tree for fruit to nourish you, a Balm of Gilead to heal your soul maladies!

Well may Christ be called "the Consolation of Israel," for His unchangeable grace and mercy, His perfect obedience, His sin-atoning death, His constant divine intercession, are replete with  comfort to the lost and undone sinner.

By the power of Christ's grace...our unbelief receives a death-wound, our distracting fears are hushed to silence and we are filled with joy unspeakable and full of glory, while in ecstasy we exclaim, "God forbid that I should glory, save in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world!"

I have found Him whom my soul loves!
I've found the pearl of greatest price!
My Christ is first, my Christ is last, my Christ is all in all!

Look, Christians, to your Redeemer, and listen to the gracious words that proceed from His mouth.

"As the Father has loved Me - I have loved you."

"You are My friends, if you do what I command you."

"The Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me."

"I am the Good Shepherd. My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish - ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand."

What more could your Lord say? Here He opens His heart to you, and declares that no good thing will be withheld from those who are united to Him. Oh! contemplate the great object of your devout desires, and look to the glorious Friend who utters these promises, and guides your feeble steps.

Are your minds depressed? The chief Shepherd is always near you; and He who offered His life for you, will undoubtedly make your present and eternal welfare His care. Rest your faith on the Saviour's dying love for you, and then you can trust Him for all the darksome things on this side of the grave - and all will appear radiant beyond it.

If occasionally you sow in sorrow - then you will undoubtedly reap in joy.

The Redeemer is your portion, and He has said, "My grace is sufficient for you." "Lo! I am with you always, even to the end of the world!"

The power of Christ is as infinite, as His love is immeasurable!

"All power is given unto Him, in Heaven and in earth." The kingdoms of nature, of providence, and of grace, are totally under His control. He is "the mighty God," the Creator and upholder of all things. With what confidence may the people of Christ repose on such al all-powerful Friend! There are no difficulties into which they can be plunged, from which He cannot extricate them. There are no enemies who can effectually contend with them - for Jesus is by their side to protect them.

Are they afflicted with sickness? He can say to the pestilence, "Go!" and it goes.

`William Nicholson~

(continued with # 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment