Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Nailed to the Doorpost # 5

Nailed to the Doorpost # 5

I must be steadfast in bearing the cross of trial and suffering. Jesus knows all I may have to pass through. He knows the bitterness of the cup I may have to drink, the anxious load I have day by day to carry - and therefore I must be quiet and still, and yield to His wise discipline. I must not fret, and rebel, and repine - but commit by way to him who does all things well.

And that I may be able to do this, I must be steadfast in faith. I must trust Him utterly, trust Him constantly, and trust Him forever.

"Trust in Jesus all our day,
Trust in Jesus all the way,
Trust in Him whatever befall,
Trust in Jesus Christ for all."

I learned a helpful lesson lately from Alison's History of Europe. He frequently dwells on the great importance of an army securing its communications. An enemy will often make the greatest efforts to break the line, so that an army may be cut off in case of disaster, or be unable to receive fresh supplies. Napoleon by this means, by a sudden passage over the Great St. Bernard pass, drove the Austrians out of Italy, and compelled them to evacuate a dozen important fortresses. So that it is all-important for a General, in every case, to maintain the line of communication. To lose this is to forfeit everything.

The application is easy to ourselves. Our great enemy is ever busy to separate us from our source of strength. If he can break down our faith and confidence in Christ, he has us in his power - but we must never permit this. We must keep the line open at all hazards. In falls and backslidings, we must humble ourselves in the dust, but yet flee to Christ. In cares and distresses, we must run to Him and not from Him. When the battle seems to be going against us for the moment, we must fall back upon our base of strength and hope. We must turn still to Christ, and say to Him, "Be my strong habitation, where unto I may continually resort."

Thus can we never be finally overthrown. Our supplies in Christ can never be exhausted. All power in Heaven and in earth is in His hand. And whatever from this moment we may fear or feel, in Christ at least we shall be more than conquerors.

I cannot close without a few words to those who are serving other masters, or, at least, who have not given themselves unreservedly to Christ. Perhaps you are attempting a divided service - serving Christ a little, but the world far more. Perhaps you are halting and undecided - you would have the Saviour's reward, but will not part with the world's vanities. Or perhaps you are quite decided, but on the wrong side. You are a servant of sin, and you have no part or lot in Christ. Whichever it is, Christ looks upon you as a stranger to Him, and as yet serving in the ranks of the adversary.

But what shall I counsel you to do? Change masters this very day! Cast off the yoke of sin and give yourself up to Christ. Renounce the world, the flesh, and the devil, and ask the Lord Jesus to take you as you are, to forgive all that is past, and to help you to serve Him aright. There is no need to wait. Christ will take you just as you are, if you honestly yield yourself to Him. He will take you just as you are, for though there is nothing good whatever to be said for you, yet He will freely save and bless and help you, and teach you how to live a holy life. Humble yourself at His footstool, and come to Him even now. Why should another year, another week, another day be wasted in a service that cannot profit?

What can other masters give you - but shame, sorrow, unrest, death and damnation? Think of the dark, dark abyss into which the sinner casts himself by his impenitence and unbelief! Think of the bright abode of saints for all who have loved and followed Christ! Which will be yours? What not the latter?

Think, too, of the blessedness of spending a lifetime in honoring Christ and doing His will. Think of the sad loss of those who fail to improve this privilege. Who shall tell the bitter regret of many a dear child of God that so long a time has been lost before engaging in the Lord's service. I remember one speaking to the young, and exhorting them early to give themselves to Christ, and then telling them how he mourned that he had passed just half the lifetime of man, before beginning to live indeed.

May each reader have the joy, and not the sorrow. Give up all to Jesus, and give it at once. Think of all He has done in dying for you; and consecrate your whole life gladly to His service. Say to Him, "Lord, if I had a hundred lives instead of one, I would give all, and every moment of each to You, who has loved and washed me in Your blood. Only strengthen me by Your grace; and I will be Yours - Yours now and forever. Amen."

"I love, I love my Master,
I will not go out free!
He loves me, oh, so lovingly,
He is so good to me!

"I love, I love my Master,
He shed His blood for me,
To ransom me from satan's power,
From sin's hard slavery.

"I love, I love my Master,
Oh, how He worked for me!
He worked out God's salvation,
So great, so full,so free.

"My Master, of, my Master,
If I may work for Thee,
And tell out Your salvation,
How happy shall I be!

"I know not, but my Master,
Will teach me what to do,
Prepare the ground, point out the way,
And work within me too.

"Take up your cross, He bids me,
And this for me He bare;
And while I wear His easy yoke,
He meekly takes a share.

"I cannot leave my Master;
His love has pierced my heart;
He binds me to Himself with love,
He will not let me part.

"I love, I love my Master;
To Him alone I cling,
For there is none like Jesus,
My Saviour, Friend, and King.

"I love, I love my Master,
I will not go out free!
He says His saints shall serve Him,
And that my Heaven shall be.

~George Everard~

(The End)

No comments:

Post a Comment