Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Nailed to the Doorpost # 4

Nailed to the Doorpost # 4

7. I will cleave to Christ, because His service has such a blessed outcome. Whatever I may have to bear on earth - let me look to the end. What is there yet before me? Let me hear His promise: "Whoever serves me must follow Me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves Me." (John 12:26). A few more years or months of service - and then comes the glorious rest and the everlasting mansions. I know not what the joy of the future will be - but I know that it will eclipse all my expectations. It will be brighter far than heart ever conceived. I might picture to myself the happiest hour I ever spent in the sense of Christ's presence, and in company with His people. I might think of the joy it would be, if all the sin and wretchedness of the world around were past. I might think of the privilege of mingling only with those who delighted in the service of Christ. All this there will, in fullest measure, be in the home of the saints, and infinitely more! Therefore, when weary and toil-worn, I will think of my home above.

"I have a home above,
From sin and sorrow free;
A mansion which eternal love
Designed and formed for me.

"My Father's gracious hand
Has built this sweet abode,
From everlasting it was planned,
My dwelling place with God."

Hence for every season I must be faithful and steadfast in serving Christ. It is no less my happiness, than it is my bounden duty. I owe it to Him for all that He has done, and all that He has engaged to do for me. It shall be my joy on earth, and my joy in the celestial city, faithfully to serve my Saviour and my King.

But how may I show my faithfulness? How may I prove my fixed determination to serve the Master?

I must be steadfast to the claims of His truth. His honor is bound up in the truth which is proclaimed in His Word. I must be jealous for its integrity and its purity. The living water of truth, must not be marred by human traditions. We must keep it pure and without alloy of error.

All human additions we must determinately reject. All ideas of a priestly caste, all teachings of the necessary of confession in private to Christ's ministers, all doctrines involving a sacrifice in the Lord's Supper, or a presence in the elements, or eucharistic adoration - everything of this kind is so completely opposed to the letter and spirit of the New Testament, that on no consideration must we ever embrace or adopt it.

Neither must we cast aside one of the great doctrines of the faith, as revealed in Scripture and so clearly laid down in our creeds.

"We must put away all these old-fashioned notions. "I want a common sense religion," was said to me not many months ago. But will a "common sense" religion be enough to meet the needs of the soul? Will "common sense" relieve a guilty conscience, or show me how my sins can be blotted out? Will "common sense" renew my sinful nature and fit me to live with God? Will "common sense" support me in the hour of death, and give me a sure hope of glory beyond the skies?

Nay! I need Divine Wisdom for this. I need incarnate Wisdom - the very Son of God, who was born, and lived, and died, and rose again to bring salvation to the lost. The Son of God becoming the Son of man - His atonement, His meditation, His coming glory - all this, revealed in the wisdom of God, I require to meet the needs of my soul. I must therefore be steadfast to the truth as it is in Jesus. I must not swerve to the right hand or to the left. I must not add to the Word, nor diminish from it. I must keep in its plain simple path of Scripture doctrine and revelation.

I must be steadfast in obedience to His precepts. Whatever He says to me, I must do it. I must yield to no sin, nor willingly omit any duty that He has laid before me. I must especially remember the supreme importance of forbearing charity and unselfish love. "The end of the commandment is love;" therefore I must ever be showing forth on all around the power of this heavenly grace.

I must be steadfast in the work of His vineyard. Souls are to be won, sinners to be warned, believers to be edified. Little ones are to be gathered into the fold; and sick and sorrowing ones to be comforted by the voice of kindly Scripture counsel.

~George Everard~

(continued with # 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment