Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 5, 2019

A Curious Meditation # 1

A Curious Meditation # 1

As I was walking out for exercise in the fields one morning, having been pleading with God to give me some profitable subject for meditation - I suddenly fell into this train of thought, which afterwards wrote down; and, as it may interest and profit some, it is here inserted.

There are three things which I especially desire: more communion with God, more likeness to the Lord Jesus, and more usefulness to His church.

There are three things which I deprecate: the withering of my gifts, the decay of my graces, and to become useless in the Lord's vineyard.

There are three things which I dread: that I should become a proud professor, that I should become a lukewarm Christian, and that I should fall into the hands of man.

There are three things which I sometimes wish for (but which God will never grant me on earth): to be totally free of sin, to be delivered from a daily cross, and to be always happy.

There are three things which I feel sure of: hatred by the world, opposition by hypocrites, and love by spiritual believers.

There are three foes which always oppose me: the world, the flesh, and the devil.

There are three friends which will always stand by me: a peaceful conscience, the bride of Jesus, and the Lamb of God.

There are three deaths which have been experienced by me: a death in sin, a death to sin, a death to the law of God.

There are three lives which shall be lived by me: a temporal life, a spiritual life, and an eternal life.

There are three things which burden me: a body of sin and death, the opposition I meet with, and my own ingratitude.

There are three things which support me: the Father's love, the Son's redemption, and the Spirit's work.

There are three things which are a sore trial to me: an irritable temper, a flippant tongue, and self-love.

There are three things which bring strong consolation to me: the open fountain of Christ's blood, the promises of God, and the Saviour's free invitation.

There are three things which are especially dear to me: the Word of God, the throne of grace, and the ordinances of the Lord's house.

There are three things lacking in me: perfect penitence, entire resignation, and fervent love.

There are three books which are very useful to me: the book of nature, the book of Holy Scriptures, and the book of my own experience.

There are three teachers which are employed to instruct me: the Holy Spirit, a special providence, and the rod of God.

There are three things which are manifested in me: the nature of sin, the power of grace, and the faithfulness of God.

There are three things which would be greatly useful to me: more humility, spiritual wisdom, and enlightened zeal.

There are three things which characterize me: weakness, poverty, and sinfulness.

Yet, there are three things which may be seen in me: Christ's strength, God's grace, and the Spirit's holiness.

There are three things which are feared by me: a stiff neck, a hard heart, and a presumptuous spirit.

There are three things which are matter of joy to me: the conversion of sinners, that my name is written in heaven, and the glory to be given me at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

~James Smith~

(continued with # 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment