Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 12, 2019

A Curious Meditation # 2

A Curious Meditation # 2

There are three things which must be renounced by me: preconceived opinions, worldly wisdom, and natural religion.

There are three things which must be held fast by me: the Word of truth, my confidence in God, and my profession of the gospel.

There are three things which are especially required of me: to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with my God.

There are three things which are promised to me: tribulation in the world, sufficient strength in Jesus, and eternal life at the end of my course.

There are three things which the Lord observes and approves in me: the work of faith, the labor of love, and the patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

There is a threefold deliverance which is effected for me: from the dominion of sin, from the present evil world, and from my deserved doom.

There are three things which I would trample under foot: unfounded prejudice, vain distinctions, and self-righteousness.

There are three things which I would aim at daily: to exalt Christ, to glorify God, and to being sinners to repentance.

There are three things which are still sure to me: a rough road, changing experiences, and safety at last.

There are three things which are behind me: a wicked life, a broken law, and the pit of destruction.

There are three things which are before me: death, perfect conformity to Jesus, and eternal glory.

There are three things which are on my right hand: satan to resist me, the Lord Jesus to save me, and my own heart set on things above.

There are three things which are on my left hand: the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life.

There are three things which I greatly admire: the Saviour's person, the promises of God, and the instruments He employs in carrying on His work.

There are three things which much please me: the doctrines of the gospel, the witness of the Spirit, and the light of God's countenance.

There are three things which I delight in: that Jehovah is my God, the comfort He imparts to me, and the riches of glory which are set before me.

There are three things which I hate: the cant of hypocrites, the flattery of friends, and the pride of professors.

There are three things which are good for me: to draw near to God, to be afflicted, and to sing praises unto the Lord.

There are three things which often disgust me: satan's temptations, the powerful working of unbelief, and the conduct of religious professors.

There are three things which are prescribed to me: to believe in God, to love the saints, and to observe the Lord's ordinances.

There are three things which are too often neglected by me: self-examination, diligent reading of the Bible, and secret prayer.

There are three things which are too deep for me to fully know: the depravity of my heart, the devices of satan, and the manner of the Spirit's working.

There are three things which I wish to leave with the Lord: to choose my lot in life, to fight my battles, and to supply all my needs.

There are three things which I do not consider worth having: a form of godliness, with the power, a name to live, while dead, and the commendation of the enemies of Christ.

There are three things in which I glory: the Cross of Christ, my saving knowledge of God, and the everlasting gospel.

~James Smith~

(continued with # 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment